Friday, June 23, 2006

Pronoun Problems

These are currently Sam's two problems with speaking:

1. I/my - He never says I, always my. So a typical Sam sentence would be "My woke up and then my jumped out of my bed."

2. his/her - He never says her, always his. Example: "Daddy, Nana is here. We went in the car to pick him up at his hotel."

Also, with regard to pronunciation he says "dee" instead of "the".

Part of the problem is that Pete and I think these things are funny, so we say things the same way. Example: "Sam, my gave mommy dee remote to change it to his show." Our plan is that he'll work his way through these things despite our reinforcement. Probably when he moves out of the house for college.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Lizzie Toohey had the same problem with my/I. Don't worry, they are both common to toddlers/preschoolers. He'll grow out of it. Can I make a suggestion, though, coming from an early childhood education viewpoint? Don't repeat your sentences to him this way. He learns by your example and his big brother's.