Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Four Square


I learned some interesting things when I reviewed Pete's April class newsletter, which noted that they will be learning the four-square writing method this month. I know this is a cutting edge method, because it's not even in Wikipedia yet. I do plan to add it, however, when I have a moment.

The first observation I gathered from reading about the four square method is how school is so different than it was 30 years ago. Today they have four square writing methods, and crazy grids for multiplication. All we had was a pencil and a prayer. I think now I know why my writing is so rambling all of the time. I think I somehow learned the seven heptagon method.

My second thought was that I really enjoy these class newsletters. I think maybe I will be learning some things better by teaching them to myself the second time around.

A final thought struck me about the irony of four square. When you go to school playgrounds, many of them have Four Square grids painted on them, but I suspect that the students haven't the slightest idea what the boxes are for or how to play the game. So I guess four square has moved from the playground to the classroom, with each genaration left knowing about one and not the other.

In summary, school newsletters are interesting and the four square method is an easy way to write something without having to worry about going outside the box. By the way, this blog post has been written in the four square writing method. For a nice overview of this exciting technique, click here.

1 comment:

shoshanamom said...

I never saw the 4 square method before, Shayna never learned that. veyr interesting. ots great they are teaching writing techniques. don't you love those class newsletters? I agree, its fun relearning and also learning new things via your children.