Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Rock Paper Scissors

When we were in Vriginia Beach a few weeks ago, Pete and I sat down to play the board game "Sorry" with cousins Sarah and Joey. Pete and Joey both wanted to be blue, so we were at an impasse before we even started the game. Then Joey suggested best 2 out of 3 rock paper scissors, to which Pete agreed. The game proceeded as follows:

Round 1
Joey: Rock
Pete: Paper

Round 2
Joey: Paper
Pete: Scissors

So Pete took the color he wanted and they proceeded to play the game. (There was a further competition between Joey and Sarah when he turned his coveting to her red pieces, but that can be a topic for future discussion.)

A few days later, I asked Pete about the rock paper scissor game.

Me: Pete, how did you manage to win two consecutive games of rock paper scissors?
Pete: Well, I figured usually people like to start out with rock. So I decided to go with paper.
Me: I see.
Pete: When he jumped right into the next turn, I figured he would try to beat me with my own strategy of paper. So I went with scissors.

So for those of us who thought there was no strategy to rock paper scissors, I guess we need to think again.

No comments: